marcuzzi

Journal entries from a book that has already been written. Bogota '95-'99.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

8/10/95

Haven't written in awhile. Where to begin.

Jerry Garcia died yesterday. That's a real bummer. it's weird, too, because yesterday I was talking w/people at work about him. Tina even borrowed one of my Grateful Dead CDs to copy . She took American Beauty today. When I saw her today, she was like, "Isn't that freaky?" Tina's a cool lady.

I don't see how the Grateful Dead will continue. Jerry seemed to be very much the center of the band. And I never got to see them. My last chance was last April when they played Tampa. Guess I never will.

That'll be strange. No more Dead tours. No more Deadheads.

It's almost as if an entire culture is facing its own extinction. If all that does happen, it'll be a strange thing. The States could be very different. Very strange to think about. Was pretty bummed about it when I heard. In a way, this more unreal than Kurt Cobain killing himself. I mean, the Dead have been around FOREVER. It wasn't supposed to end. Everything ends eventually. I know. But it's always a shock when it ends unexpectedly. Like someone dying, for instance.

Hurricane Erin hit FL last week. Mom had to evacuate, but nothing like when Andrew hit Miami. Pretty lucky. Everyone seems to be OK. Got some clippings in the mail from Mom about it. She ended the letter with "Wish you were here." Yeah, with a hurricane. Me too.

Nitza's mom was supposed to call me that day to tell me. She did -- after my mom had called and told me. Little late, bitch. She wasn't very pleasant, and I didn't really appreciate it too much. Haven't talked to Nitza, either. I think it might be a sign. Of course, every day, it gets harder and harder.

Hung out with one of the new teachers, Allura, the other day. She's cool -- seems like a real run person. Me and some of the teachers are gonna try to see Mana in a few weeks. Only heard a couple of their songs, but it's a show, so we'll see. Could be cool. Hope so.

Recorded some dialog for the oral part of the Final Exam for Courses 7 and 8 today. Get paid 7500 pesos/hour for it. Almost 7$/hr. Pretty cool. And, I 've been immortalized. Did it with Terry and this guy, Tony. Pretty cool. I always hat ethe way I sound on tape, though.

Had a weird dream with my Dad in it the other night. Strange how I move to another country, and I still can't seem to escape him. Sometimes, I just don't think there's an end.

Busy day tomorrow. Subbing from 12-2 (Course 1). That'll be 8 hours teaching with no break. That's OK, though. I really need the hours. Subbing for one of the Mauricios on Monday, too. Another Course 1 from 2-4. At least I have a couple hours to rest then. Need to make up those sick hours if I want to get that bonus. 300,000 pesos. I think I really want that year-end bonus.

Wish I could listen to the Dead right now. I should be able to get my CDs from Tina tomorrow.

Cycle ends in a week. Wheee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home